Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Market in Oudenaarde, Festival in Gent and Sunday Services

The weather has been raining off and on. We went to the market that is set up each Thursday in the center square of town in the rain. It would rival the open flea markets we visited in Arizona. A lot of trucks pull in, open the sides, and then sell meats, bakery goods, candy, clothing or whatever. In the afternoon the sides are closed and they're gone. These stores on wheels were fascinating to me. The rain hampered the mood to shop and we didn't buy much. That and the fact that we had just spent over 100 euros on food a day before. I found things that looked good until I saw how much they cost. Then I told myself, "Dang, that item just got ugly," and I would walk off. Friday I spent the day not feeling well. I threw up into the early morning hours and Laurene and I just spent the day at home. I started a new painting and looked up water color videos in between being sick. It was not a fun day but by evening I felt better so we took a one-hour walk around the fields near home. Saturday we headed for Gent to see the annual festival that is going on for the next ten days. The 21st of July is like our 4th of July only they party for ten days in Gent. Laurene and I  went to the Gravenstine Castle While Dad and Dave waited for us on a bench under some cover. This castle was first built in the 1100's.



It was raining off and on the whole day we were there. We met an American couple that bought a barge to tour Europe and, yes they left their kids to do it. They have been touring for four years now on the canals all over Europe. How does that sound to you guys (fun, fun, fun)? After the castle tour we watched a very unusual parade.



Apparently because of the huge crowds they have set up outdoor open urinals in the streets. I was quite shocked the first time I saw a man walk up to one of these to relieve himself.

We then went to the top of an ancient bell tower to look out over the city.
Picture Dad took at night of Bell Tower in 2004




We listened to the bells chime several times. They are driven by a huge drum with pegs that trigger the bell gongs, much like a small music box. This drum now used was installed in 1659.


We walked around to see some of the scenic views along the canals in the city center area in spite of the almost constant rain.

Then we went to a restaurant called Le Petit Paradis that Dad and Dave had gone to in 2007 and we had a nice dinner of filet mingon with a special desert of ice cream topped with whipping cream and delicious Belgian chocolate syrup. Road construction has made navigating to and from Gent difficult since the GPS always wants to take the closed section of a road but Dad has now figured out how to avoid this with the GPS. Our trip to church Sunday morning in Gent, where the nearest branch is located, was much less stessful. After talking to members we found out the parade yesterday had some not so good themes in it. Fortunately we didn't know what the meanings were as we watched. We met some very neat people at church with whom we will do things as we get to know them. In meetings we have member interpreters that tell us what is being said. In Relief Society and Sunday School they sit next to us whispering and in sacrement we wear head phones to hear the interpretation. Most people understand English so if I want to contribute I can. Just for Laurie: Everyone waves at me now with a big smile.

2 comments:

  1. That castle looks amazing! I think it is hilarious that you took a picture of the toilet. Crazy. I also do not like the barge, be gone for 4 years idea...you asked what we thought right? I'm sorry you had a sicky day. Yuck. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Keep the posts coming, it is fun to see the fun things you are doing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing pictures of the flowers and castles. I am happy you are getting to experience what Leo has been able to enjoy while you were home holding down the fort.
    Love, Bonnie Beck

    ReplyDelete